You started 2020 feeling more motivated to meet your fitness goals than ever before. And for the first few months, you were hitting the gym, eating healthy, and improving on a daily basis. But mid-March may have stopped you in your tracks. The ongoing pandemic has changed how we’re able to maintain our physical fitness, but if anything, it’s become more important than ever.
Exercise is a key component to maintaining a healthy immune system.
It flushes out toxins from your body—so now is really the time to focus on how you can implement exercise in your daily life, despite what’s happening in the world around us. With these five tips, you can find easy, safe ways to sail right past your fitness goals.
1. Walk more
Walking is a really easy and extremely underrated way to get some cardio in. But cardio is just one of the reasons we think walking should be an essential aspect of your fitness regimen. Here are some other perks:
- It requires almost no gear: Get yourself a good pair of walking shoes and some joggers, and you’re all set to embark on endless on-foot adventures. When buying a pair of walking shoes, you’ll want to make sure that your feet feel secure, that you have plenty of cushioning, and enough arch support—especially if you overpronate.
- It’s easy to keep track of: With just your own two feet and a smartwatch, you can monitor your progress and elevate your fitness goals. Set a daily goal for yourself to hold yourself accountable.
- It saves money: Think about how much you drive, take rideshares, or ride public transit on a day to day basis. Can any of these errands be done by foot? Spending a little extra time to walk to your destination could save you a lot of money on transportation while you move forward with your fitness goals.
2. Take the long route
Now that you have steps on your mind, use this tip to help you meet or exceed your goals. By parking at the back of the lot, or taking an extra lap around the neighborhood, you can walk your way toward a healthier lifestyle
3. Make working out fun
Let’s be honest, some of us dread the thought of having to wake up early to work out, but it doesn’t have to be a bummer. Making your workout more fun is the most effective way to stay inspired! Instead of boxing your workouts into reps at the gym, exhausting runs, or burpees, think about how you can be active and have a good time. Here are some exciting ways to spice up your routine:
- Have a dance battle: It’s great cardio and a choreographed routine engages your brain, too!
- Explore nature: A hike in nature provides you with a much-needed dose of Vitamin D.
- Learn something new: Use your fitness goals to learn a new skill like climbing, skiing, paddle boarding, or kayaking.
4. Create daily challenges
If you’re having trouble getting motivation or staying motivated, start creating a daily challenge for yourself. Each day think about some fitness goal that you want to accomplish. It could be a quick ab workout in your living room, hula hooping or running five hill repeats.
The goals don’t have to be big, it’s best if they’re manageable to squeeze into your day—that way, no excuses. Don’t go too easy on yourself though, they should push your limits enough to move the needle forward, not back.
5. Include friends
Working out with your friends may not be possible at the moment, given the ongoing pandemic, but you can still compete and support each other virtually!
This is a great way to hold each other accountable. Also, it’s easy to incorporate these workouts in your daily schedule.
Simply join a social network for athletes, follow your friends and watch as you progress toward your 2020 fitness goals.
Don’t let anything come between you and your health goals. Just use these five tips to guide you in the right direction!